- 2ndGrade Newsletter
- November 2018
- Dear Parents,
- Thank you for attending parent/teacher conferences last week. We are excited about your child’s academic progress/achievements.
- Eureka! We’re exploring the Westward Expansion of the United States. The Living History presentations on Monday, November 12th, are the culmination of the westward movement of the 1800s. Students will have a good ol’ cowboy snack after their presentation. Their teachers are proud to serve beanie weenies, cornbread, honey butter, and sarsaparilla. Please join us for a rootin’ tootin’ good time! (Students will still have their normal lunch time following this event.) After lunch, it will be time to move on out to Pioneer Village. After Thanksgiving Break, we will learn about the Civil War.
- In Core Knowledge, we have been reading some Tall Tale stories in preparation for Pioneer Village. Also, the tales of Iktomi, an American Indian of the Lakota and Dakota Sioux tribes, will be read and discussed. The stories are very funny, ranging from light-hearted fables about buffoonish behavior to ribald jokes.
As we prepare for Pioneer Village, parent volunteers are crucial! Volunteer sign-up sheets for specific activities will be on the classroom doors. We will need parent volunteers on Monday and Tuesday (Nov. 5th and 6th) to help with Pioneer Village prep work. On Monday, Nov. 12th we need parent volunteers to help with Pioneer Village games and activities (a sign-up genius will be sent out). Thank you for helping with our projects. We are very appreciative of your time and generous efforts!
Important dates in November
- 3rd Open House for New Families
- 6th PTO meeting 5:30
- 9th Veterans Day Ceremony (Benchmark Courtyard)
- 9th Early Release 11:30 (no lunch)
- 12th Westward Ho! Presentations 9:30 – 11:30(Parents Invited)
- 12th Pioneer Village 1pm – 2:45pm parent volunteers needed
- 16th Early Release 11:30 (no lunch)
- 19th – 23rd No School – Happy Thanksgiving!
- 26th Art Masterpiece
Mrs. de Angelis, Mrs. Manchen, Mrs. Miller, and Mrs. Sipp
THE SECOND GRADE TEAM J