Benchmark Elementary School recognizes student dress and grooming are a matter of personal choice. The dress code for Benchmark School reflects a concern for each child’s comfort, safety, and cleanliness.
Benchmark Elementary School dress code prohibits students from the following when on school property:
· Shoes without a back strap
· Platform shoes
· High heels
· Wearing hats inside buildings on campus
· Hoop/dangling earrings, nose rings, eyebrow rings, and lip rings (safety reasons)
· Sharing of hats and other headgear
· Hair that is not groomed
· Hair that covers the eyes. Long hair should be pulled up or clipped back.
· Hats that display obscene language, symbols, tobacco, alcohol and/or drugs.
· Wearing halter, tube, crop, shear tops, or thin strapped tank tops without an under layer that provides proper coverage- midsection must be covered.
· Tank tops straps that are less than two finger width.
· Athletic tank tops, where side of abdomen is showing.
· Clothing that displays obscene language, symbols, tobacco, alcohol, and/or drugs.
· Pants/shorts that are worn in a fashion that prevents students from participating in full and active participation in regular school activities.
· Short shorts or short miniskirts/dresses: (Bottom hem of shorts must have an inseam of 4 inches or longer. Old Navy has shorts of this length. Short skirts, shorter than finger tips must have shorts worn under.)
· Spikes, chains, or wallet chains.
Any educational distraction due to dress will be addressed on an individual basis. If a student is found in violation of the dress code policy, parents will be contacted to bring a change of attire.